- Company Shop Group saves 98 million products from waste, through powerful partnerships
- Community comes together as new social supermarket opens its doors in Leicester
- Company Shop Dudley Celebrates First Birthday
- Jess Phillips MP Visits Company Shop Yardley
- Community Shop to open new store in Leicester
Company Shop Group Signs C-19 Business Pledge
22 May 2020
Company Shop Group Signs C-19 Business PledgeCompany Shop Group, the UK’s leading redistributor of surplus food and household products, has signed up to the global COVID-19 Business Pledge - committing to continuing to support its colleagues, members and communities during the Coronavirus pandemic.
The pledge, which was devised by former UK Cabinet Minister Justine Greening, and UK entrepreneur David Harris, is aimed at ensuring businesses act as a positive force not only in overcoming the short term challenges presented by COVID-19, but also in helping to rebuild in the longer term.
Company Shop Group has always championed using business as a force for social good, putting its members, colleagues and communities at the heart of its work. In light of COVID-19, the Group has rapidly scaled up its already well-established operations to deliver significant additional social, economic and environmental impact across the UK, providing an invaluable lifeline for so many.
The Group has undertaken many colleague, member and community led initiatives over the last two months including:
- To support its members, Company Shop has temporarily extended its membership during the pandemic to reach all key workers, providing essential food and products at heavily discounted prices to the heroes on the front line. To accommodate for members working increased hours and often unsociable shifts, special allowances have been given so friends and family can shop for members on their behalf, as well as launching a new click and collect scheme and a bespoke personal shopping service. The Group has also extended its membership for individuals and families who would typically be eligible for Community Shop, but do not live locally, so that they can access the food and products they need during challenging times.
- To reach its communities, the business has leveraged its Group infrastructure to widen and deepen its support to vulnerable communities, helping to provide immediate food access and support to those who need it most. With the help of its industry partners and generous donations, including from Ocado and Ella’s Kitchen, Community Shop has launched numerous food delivery and care package schemes to reach those who are vulnerable or shielding. To achieve this, Community Shop has worked in conjunction with the Government, various local councils including Barnsley Council, and numerous charities and voluntary organisations including Everton in the Community, cancer charity Candlelighters and Feeding Britain.
- To protect its colleagues, who are central to the Group’s COVID-19 response, a range of additional support mechanisms - alongside all precautionary health and safety measures - have been implemented to have ensure colleague wellbeing. This includes weekly shopping vouchers for front-line colleagues, home-working where possible, paid parental leave, and additional line management support and training to help them to navigate the potential challenges of COVID-19.
The Group joins hundreds of global household names, including Coca Cola and Unilever, in signing the COVID-19 Business Pledge.
Steph McGinty, Retail, People and Communities Director for Company Shop Group, said:
“The C-19 Business Pledge is a public commitment to principles that we have long held central to our business and the work we deliver. Our colleagues, members and communities have always been the driving forces behind the work that we do, and it is now more important than ever that their needs shape our operation and strategy as a business.
“We have always championed business as a powerful force for social good, and as we continue to navigate the pandemic, it is essential that businesses take a leading role in supporting and rebuilding their industries, their people and the communities in which they operate. Company Shop Group is proud to be amongst those who have pledged their commitment to achieve this.”